Monday, September 22, 2008

Wood Hoard

I brought over the wood from a donated Ramp that was in storage the weekend of the big Hurricane in Texas. That weather carried itself all the way up to the Midwest and beyond. I think we got 10" of rain during that storm. I skated the carwash the entire weekend which was really cool. I hadn't been there since March so it was all new again.

The only draw back is that it never stopped raining so it made moving wood not fun! I eventually got it all to the barn and had to wait a day or too. The ground was so saturated that it was impossible to drive through the field.

Last Thursday I made a trip to Home Depot to get more wood. I basically had enough 2 x 4s to build the transitions and some other wood for the decks. So I had to buy the wood for the flat bottom and the 3/4" plywood for the transitions, screws and other misc. I have about 10 sheets of 3/8" and will need to get more when the time comes. I figure that what I have now will keep me busy for a month if not more. Especially if the weather continues to be as good as it has been this week!! 70s-80s

I plan to build this ramp for my needs. It is great to have that kind of freedom. If you think it is too tight or not a real vert ramp or just a dumb idea then don' ride it! I have thought about this for quite some time and based on the space, the ramp dimensions will hopefully be 8' 6" high w/ 7' 6" transitions (1 foot of vert), 20' wide and 14' of flat. Wow, that is tight!! Yes, it will be very tight. This is as tall and wide that the barn will allow.

In defense of this, I am primarily a bowl/pool kinda guy. I do not like big transition vert ramps and I am not into mellow minis either. I have read that tighter ramps feel like a pool or bowl. I do not have hopes of doing 900s or anything like that. I just want a place to skate this winter and learn some damn tricks. For me, it needs to be on a tight gnar ramp like this!!

Most of the parks built by Grindline and Dreamland have tight trannies so why not build a ramp based on what is out there. I have some nice big coping for one end and hope to pour concrete coping for the other. Some will say that it should be the same on both sides. But if you go to a good park these days there is usually a variety of coping.

I do have a few guys who are willing to donate some time and maybe $$ but I want to keep most of the funding to myself here... But I think that I may have some fundraising happening soon. I would like to offer some art work up at a discounted price to pay for the wood. More on that later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'll take care of the 900's for ya. hehe

-Callahan