Friday, September 26, 2008

Tranny



So, I finally got the VW out of the barn and got some room to work! I cut out the transition templates today. I searched so many ramp plans and looked at pics on the interturd. I got some rad skateramp plans from Brenden at Whitefish Skate Ramp Co. Calabro hooked me up of course. Check out the site! Brenden is one of the organizers for the super rad Dreamland park in Whitefish, MT. SOOOOOOOOO effffin good!!


I figured out a sweet way to draw out the transitions. I screwed the 3/4" plywood to the floor and framed it out to be sure it was square. I used a 1" x 2" for the vertical and screwed my compass arm (another 1" x 2") to that. Everything was screwed to the floor so it would not move. I used the string method once but it would flex and come untied... 2 x 4's are kinda bulky so these skinny boards seem to work better as a big compass. It was fun.


I used a auger bit to open up a 5/8" hole on the end of the compass arm to put my sharpie through. Measured it all out for a 7' 6" transition and drew the arc. It was pretty easy accept the first time I forgot to link up the two pieces properly. Brendan has a pretty good way to join the two transitions together so I overlapped them a bit... The pics explain themselves.



I spent the rest of the day cutting out 6 transition template sets - 16 sides and 32 pieces. Good stuff!! I will have to cut out the tombstone connector things and then belt sand the arcs. They came out pretty good though, not too much lumpyness.



so it begins!!

No comments: