Monday, September 22, 2008

The Ramp



This is the sister site to my blog EXPSKATE which is a blog devoted to music, art and skateboarding. I decided to start a separate blog that will document the construction and various phases of my ramp to be. Ramps tend to have lives just as people do. It is a lot like the life of a work of art. It is used in different ways, may have many owners, locations and even versions.

SO to start out, I guess I should blog the pros and cons of this project. When I actually thought about it, this project has been in the making for years now. Ever since I started really skating again, I have been in search for new and interesting terrain to ride. But I am always thinking in the back of my mind what I really want to ride. As you might have read in the other site, I have been to many parks and love some and am less enthused about others.


This project is one for survival of the coming fall and winter weather. Chicago can sometimes have mild winters but in recent years they keep getting more and more oppressive! I have spent thousands of dollars on gas and park fees over the years as well. I have skated nearly every day for the last 3 years and when a good chunk of those sessions were 10-15$ then you can imagine where all my $$ went... So this ramp will hopefully help a little in that department. As well as my ramp riding skills.

Last year, a group of us got together and constructed a mini ramp, and some other obstacles in a warehouse in Chi. Some may know this place as "The Carwash". Yes, I am in on that one too. Some even try to hide it from me - hahaha. It is not a secret spot, all are welcome, as long as you can find it and kick down some cash to pay for all the shit.

It was really cool that a group of us finally got together and actually did it. After a year in the warehouse all is still well and better than ever!! Anyway - I was happy with the way the place turned out but I am not a full on mini freak. I like bigger transition, vert, pool coping, etc. SO, my heart was not fully there - I guess I just wanted something more. And finally, this year I am going in that direction. But at the same time, it is great that the mini is still there. I feel like I can enjoy it even more now knowing that I have a new project going on.

My plan 6 months ago, was to live cheap, pay off my credit cards, save up a down payment and buy land, barn, house, etc. Well, I got the cards paid off and saved a little $$. But I am in no position of obtaining the big dream as of yet. With all that is happening at this point, I am honestly afraid of even going to a bank. For one thing, they are not just giving loans to anyone these days, and who knows if they will be there next week. I give them my $$ and they fold and my down payment is gone??

Also, my dream of land is probably out of a while, at least around here - too $$$.

So I compromised, I have access to a 30'x40' pole barn. The catch was it was filled with crap (literally) and has no electric. SO these are some things I had to work with the last few weeks. Moving old stuff that needs to be dumped and other things that need to be burned and still more things like animal corpses, feces and more good stuff to be disposed of accordingly.

I worked in that barn for about 3 weeks. And now it is almost ready. I know a few electricians and hope to run a line out to the barn soon. I have a service all set up and just need to move a few things around...

No comments: