Monday, September 29, 2008

More More More!



So while I was waiting to hear from Calabro I figured I would get some more work done. He didn't call me back until 2 so I got some good work done again on Sunday. I keep messing up the numbers. I was missing about 42 joist hangers and about 6 boxes of #8 screws. I got to a stopping point with the transition template prep and had to move on.



I am now realizing that I still have some shuffling to do in the barn. I never would have thought that I would be using the entire space so soon. SO, I have to move the wood pile and get the 100 year old sleigh in a safe spot. I have all of these paintings from my MA degree (1999) that are too big to store in the house. You may see some in the background. Yep, strange - i was all into Blues and Jazz music at that time, kinda obsessed with New Orleans as well. So my work was a lot about music, voodoo culture, folklore and outer space.





I should also add that I would like to offer some art up for a cheap price. I need to pay for this thing some how!! more on that..

I figured out a better way to attach the fill in pieces on the bottom of each template. I had to have a foot of vert so I did the pain in the ass thing and made an uneven height of 8' 6". This means that you can't use one entire 4' x 8" sheet. However, If I were to go with this size again, I think that I could have cut that section out as part of the lower transition?? Maybe. But now, I have to make it work. So I cut out the fill in pieces with a circular hand saw. I was not being too careful with the edges since I was cutting them form the scrap inside template left overs. So now I have some janky looking fill in pieces. Which are not true on the bottom. I figured out a way to fix this problem when I attach the frame.



I may just borrow a table saw and re-cut the fill in pieces. Although, I do not like table saws. They freak me out - I cut off three of my fingers when i was 18 at a cabinet shop... They had me ripping down boards all day and when you do anything repetitive like that it can get dangerous. Especially my spacey ass. No guards, barely a fence... scarey



So anyway, I mocked up the 8' sections just to see where I was with everything. My first instinct was ok, this might work?? I am still worried about the truss situation. But my father seems to be really cool about it all. I think he is glad that I am using the barn for something for once. It was really just a graveyard for local animals to freeze to death during winter. I did use it in the past as an art studio (hence the big ass art works), a shop (when i raced motocross) and a private place to work out music/songs.

So, I have had a relationship with this barn for a long time. I guess I always come up with some kind of kooky idea to use it. I built a 12' wide mini behind it about 18 years ago. At that time no one out here skated and it rotted away. I actually have a few of the boards that I may use in this ramp for vibe points.

Moving on, I went out and picked up more joist hangers and screws and rigged up some lighting last night. I got to prep 4 more transition templates and then I realized I did not get enough screws... SO, I am gonna run out and get some today on my lunch break. I am either hitting up the carwash after work tonight or I may just get back to the barn. Who knows!

I also realized I really F'd up on the wood calculation. I am short on 2 x 4's. Bummer - this means more $$$. I had enough set aside for plywood but now it may be pretty tight. Got to check craigslist of free wood!!!

No comments: