Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tranny part 2




So I got up early this morning and got some work done in the barn. Had a rad sesh at Wilson last night and then watched the debate with Man-Night Eric. I really need to stop eating so much bad shit. I'll save that for the other blog.



So transitions. I got the sander out and smoothed out the waves on the curved edge. Then marked out across all 12 templates every 8". I started attaching the joist hangers and once I got to the end of template #1 I realized that I made a miscalculation. I am gonna need more 2 x 4s. Well, win some lose some.



I rigged up a cardboard template to connect the two transition pieces together. This was loosely based on Brendan's idea from Whitefish Skate Ramp CO. I decided to go with this idea because it was the least involved. Some other things I have seen require some masterful angles and I do not have a decent chop saw to do that stuff. Nor do I have the mindset. I guess I better get it if I ever want to build a bowl!



SO I spent an hour cutting those out and it worked well. I finally found a use for the scrap wood between each transition piece. I will also cut out the filler piece for the bottom of each transition template. The cuts are not pretty but it is all about using the waste material for something useful.



So after I got all of that stuff done, I put transition template #1 together and began checking the truss clearance again. This has been a major concern since the beginning. I actually started measuring at the beginning of the summer. I must have went out and measured that barn 10 times. I kept seeing the problem and trying to make things work. I finally made a mock transition and measured everything and came to the conclusion that it would work.



However, now that I have the real thing in there it looks a bit sketchy. The truss runs horizontal to the lip of the ramp. It is 6' from the lip and about 1.5' higher. When you look from one angle it appears that the skater would hit his or her head on the truss during drop in. But I also originally thought that we crouch a bit when we drop in and that it wouldn't be a problem. But of course I began to worry about Calabro. He often times catipult himself out to flatbottom and one may hit the truss when they do something like that.



So my intitial reaction to that today was fuck, I'm done. I went in and spoke with he who makes all decisions and is the final word was really laid back about it and said cut the truss out of try to make it work somehow. The neighbor did something like that to his barn where he increased the overhead height. SO, this will be another project to research the best and safest way to raise the truss up at least 2'. I guess I'll just keep building the ramp until I figure that part out. Then I have to get electric out to the barn too. Lots of extra shit!

No comments: